Masturbation is normal and extremely common
For our parents and grandparents masturbation was a taboo. It wasn’t discussed and there even were medical treatments to cure people of masturbation. Now, of course, we know that masturbation is completely normal and also extremely common. It is part of life and a component of healthy sexuality.
"Masturbation does not cause any harm, either physically or mentally, even if you do it often."
People may still be embarrassed to talk about masturbation but you should not feel ashamed or guilty because of masturbating.
Masturbation is safe
There are many myths about the negative side effects of masturbation. None of them are true, and, in fact, masturbation has many benefits instead.
Masturbation does not cause blindness, insanity, acne, stunted growth, lack of sperm or make hair grow from your palms. If that were the case, 95% of guys would be walking around raving mad with hair sprouting between their fingers.
It is very unlikely that masturbation would cause harm to you. Overly rough masturbation can cause soreness or bruising, though. Be gentle and try some lubricant next time.
Breaking your penis while masturbating is possible but very rare; it requires a violent twist of an erect penis.
Benefits of masturbation
Instead of being harmful to you, masturbation has many benefits for your health and general well-being.
- Increased self-esteem: Masturbation is a great way to learn about your sexuality and how your body behaves during sex. Knowing your body can lead to increased self-esteem and improved body image.
- Sexual satisfaction: Through masturbation, you can learn what feels good, and how to stimulate yourself sexually.
- Harder erection: Masturbation exercises pelvic floor muscles. This can make your erection harder and prevent erectile dysfunction and incontinence.
- Improved health: Masturbation keeps your reproductive organs exercised and working correctly. This also lowers the risk of prostate cancer.
- Better relationships: Masturbating can help with premature ejaculation. An orgasm before a date night can make you last longer in bed.
- Improved mood: Masturbation feels good and creates a sense of well-being. It releases sexual tension, relaxes, and can help to concentrate.
- Improved fertility: You won’t run out of sperm. Instead, masturbation improves the quality and mobility of the sperm.
Can masturbating be bad for you?
For the great majority of people, masturbation is completely healthy and recommended activity. Still, like most pleasures in life, masturbation can have its dark side.
- When masturbation gets in the way of your regular life, relationships, or career, you may be suffering from compulsive masturbation. Masturbation can be addictive, like alcohol and gambling. If you notice this kind of effect in your life, try having a break from masturbation for a couple of weeks and see how it feels. If masturbation still affects your life negatively, see a medical doctor.
- In some cultures and religions, masturbation is frowned upon. Depending on your upbringing, this can lead to shame and guilt after masturbation. As you now know, masturbation is normal, healthy, and has many benefits. Don’t be burdened by others’ beliefs and prejudice. Only you can decide what is right for you.
- Masturbation can train your body to respond to a specific kind of touch only, and in some cases, this can make climaxing more difficult with a partner. Have variety in your masturbation techniques to avoid this.
Sex toys can enhance masturbation
While masturbating without any extras is a lot of fun, using sex toys can boost the intensity and pleasure.
Fleshlights is one of the best male masturbators available. To learn more, see my thorough Guide to Best Feeling Fleshlights.
If you don't want to invest on sex toys, see also Homemade Sex Toys for Men: Fleshlights and Pocket Pussies.
Masturbation is good for you
I hope you recognize that masturbation is not bad, harmful, or wrong. As with all nice things in life, you may sometimes overindulge, but that is not bad for you, and you should not feel bad about it.
Masturbation is one of the healthy and positive pleasures of life. Embrace your private solo sex adventures without shame or guilt.
To learn more about basics of masturbation, check also the following articles: What Is Masturbation & How to Masturbate, Is Masturbation Wrong, Best Male Masturbation Techniques, Male Masturbation Facts, and History of Masturbation.
Fore more male masturbation information, see all masturbation articles.